My Favorite

My Favorite

Friday, June 19, 2015

#2015 PCChallenge - Week 24

Hello Everyone.

In continuation to my experiments with mirrors on polymer clay jewelry, this time I planned to make few Indian style earrings with mirrors embedded.

These are called as Jhumkas which are dome shaped. Usually, its very difficult to make these dome shapes perfect especially when you have to add textures / other effects as well.

Anyway, I used my own molds to make the jhumka's as I needed a solid support below the clay dome in order to work on the raw clay - sticking mirrors and then, making the additional designs over it.

I wanted to do some twist in the traditional Jhumka's so I decided to make them rustic and rough instead of very smooth look. Also, I wanted to make a very heavy pair in look.

I chose green and blue color as base while putting acrylic colors to give the rustic look.

Here is the first look: You can't see the mirrors very clearly in this pic as I took the pics in shade to avoid the reflection. There are 4 mirrors per Jhumka and covered with designed petals from each side.

The only difficulty I faced was while putting the small beads / balls below the base. I first tried the glue however, was disappointed because they were coming out even with small pressure.

With frustration, I chopped each from the base. Took breath again and put them with liquid clay. That was a task - atleast for me because firstly, I am making Jhumkas first time so everything was trial and second, the small round beads just didn't stop from slipping the base over the liquid clay. It was so fun putting them in slow motion within the oven :).

Well, here is the final outputs where my colleague is wearing them. In the pics you can see the mirror reflection clearly.




I think, this week as well I am going to try the mirror work - Jhumka's OR bangle.

Hope to see good results in them as well!

Till then, Happy Claying.

Regards,
Rashi
19th June 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment