My Favorite

My Favorite

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Week 18 - #2015PCChallenge - Earrings from Silkscreen

Hi Everyone,

Few days back I purchased the silkscreen kit - Sculpey as well as two templates of Helen Breil's newly launched Silk screen kits. But didn't get chance to actually use them.

Luckily one of my friend requested me to make one earring and necklace set for one of her silk-sarees. There was no mandate for using Silk screen but I took a decision myself to experiment on silk screen along with a reason of working for her on this new set.

I took both the silk screen templates, mainly the leaf shape one complete sheet of Sculpey and Helen breils 'Cosmic spider webs' silk screen template.

I have seen people using silk screen on lots of pendants, flat surfaces but not on round beads - I am not sure if I have actually missed it in my limited search on google. Anyway, So I thought of using the silkscreen for creating round beads.

Frankly, I was really skeptical if the silkscreen print on flat clay will remain intact when I will cut a round piece and cover it on round beads - and roll over again to perfectly stick with base round beads (hope I am clear enough). So basically, was scared if the silk screen print will remain intact when I will round the beads between my hands. So first, I tried very little silkscreen on clay, let it dry, took scrap polymer clay, rounded it, took a circle cut from silkscreen print (after completely dry) and started rolling it over round scrap clay bead. Trust me, I was praying for the silkscreen to remain as it is.

And to my surprise, it did! I was really impressed with the strong impression which silkscreen golden color from Sculpey created over clay. Not a single bit of print was lost between my hands while rounding the beads. So - Happy me! And I proceeded with the complete set.

Complete set came out real good - especially the round pearl silk screen beads and earrings. Here is the sneak peak of the work.





Well, I am not sure if there is eligibility issues of this in polymer clay challenge but I did my experiment of creating round beads from silkscreen - unplanned though. I am happy that my vision for creating stuff from silkscreen has broadened from just limiting it to flat surfaces. Because I was really not aware of it.

I enjoyed this and loved the outputs!

Happy Claying.
16th May 2015 (Oh yes, I am updating the blog really late, genuine apologies for it).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment