My Favorite

My Favorite

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Week 4 - #2015PCChallenge

Hi Everyone,

Its been 1 and half year been playing with clay. I remember being scared of trying techniques, follow what my mind is saying vs. what I see from other artists. I have done lots and lots of experimentations - silently as was too hesitant to share.

However, now I see a change where I am not scared of experimenting OR doing the structure, design, shapes OR using even random materials which my brain is asking me to make and use. Its a good feel - trust me, failure doesn't scare me at all now. Confidence is multi-fold in sharing what I am trying to do.

And somehow, I think I am coming to know what I love doing. At least the first love is definitely Shapes (symmetrical / unsymmetrical) and surface designs (simple to complicated). I am sure will explore more with time.

My first experimentation with random shapes was this necklace which I actually planned on pen and paper with all thoughts well laid-out on paper. Trust me I never did that.

Process includes canes, extruder strands, lots of patience in placing base shape beads and most important, holding these base shapes together. I learned so minute things at each stage of making this necklace.

Anther important thing which I ensured during this piece is the sanding - Not leaving it for the time when whole necklace is done but following it at each stage as and when each individual element was completed during multiple steps of shaping /finishing the piece.

Phew, I must say, its a tiring job but great learning.

Very important to mention - the use of Buna cord - Its very difficult to get it online in India and also, to find it out in local markets (atleast as far as I know). I ordered it from Shades of Clay in Canada.

First time, I used it along with the lock of the necklace which I made myself - Yes, I made it myself, all strong and stable. I was so scared if buna cord, super glue and clay will make enough strong lock to hold the whole neck piece, and it did. I know, most of you might be doing it from years but for me It was first time and was so excited :).

And here is the final piece-My most favorite till now and I think will remain forever :)


Isn't it beautiful? :)

Slowly, I will upload all my previous week entries. I have made lots of stuff...but not taken photographs. The process will take time but will make sure that I complete everything soon.

Happy claying!
16th May 2015 (I wish I can put earlier dates :( )



 

No comments:

Post a Comment